Welcome to the new look Nina Campbell blog. Over the coming weeks, I will be offering general principles, plans, tips and tricks that will help you make your home a lovely, stylish and comfortale place to live. I hope you find these fun, informative, but above all useful! Lets get started with my 'general brief' when redesigning any home.
- How many people will be living in the house?
- What do they want to do here (for example, work, sleep, entertain, relax)?
- How many children live at home? How old are they? (For instance, if they are babies or toddlers, you will need to look ahead.)
- What furniture or art can you keep / restore / replace / throw out?
- List all your storage requirements. Don't forget practical things you use regularly, such as vacuum cleaners and the washing machine and things you use only occasionally, such as suitcases or Christmas decorations.
- Is there an atmosphere you want to create or retain (perhaps from a particular period or part of the world)? You needn't feel hidebound by this, but it is often a help in directing choice.
- Do you have a favourite style, theme or colour you'd like to use as a focus?